Healthy hair is a sign of healthy body and good hair care practices. But, how to know if your hair is healthy? Shiny hair with smooth texture and clean cut ends or tapered tips can be considered as an indicator of healthy hair. Everyone loves beautiful natural- looking hair but sometimes due to many reasons some suffer from hair loss, thinning of hair and other hair issues. It’s common to be a little obsessed with your hair. In current scenario, trust the herbal hair care solutions than the chemical products as the best remedies comes from the traditional age old Ayurveda.
Let’s have a look on the Ayurvedic tips for a better hair.
- Head massage – A magical therapy!
Head massage or Shiro abhyanga (as called in ayurveda) is a rejuvenating procedure of oil application on head. In Ayurveda, it is recommended as a part of the daily regimen. A regular pampering of scalp with a good oil massage can bestow one with plethora of health benefits and a natural remedy for hair growth.
6 Step guide for scalp massage
- Mix oils - Pour natural oils of choice into a small bowl .Based on your hair length, mix equal amounts of Bipha Neelibringhadi Thailam and Almond oil/olive oil. In case if dandruff persists better to go for a mix of Bipha Durdurapatradhi oil and Neelibringadi oil with few drops of almond /olive oil. Always better not to combine more than 3 oils.
- Heat oil – Lukewarm oil is the best to stimulate hair follicles. Warm the oil by rubbing between your palms or microwave for 10-15 seconds or keep the bowl with oil on hot water, warm it up (not hot).
- Detangle and section your hair – Apply oil to scalp. Parting the hair on top of your head and exposing the scalp slather the oil until you have covered your whole head.
- Start massaging - Use your fingertips, not your nails. Go slowly-slow strokes tend to be more relaxing. Circular motion across the head from back to front then front to back. If you have longer hair apply some oil to the rest of your hair. After massage tie up your hair keeping it loose and easy.
- Relax – Keep for 1 -2 hours or If your hair is frizzy then leave overnight- cover with a disposable plastic spa cap or cling film then a satin sleep cap or scarf. Your body heat will provide a mild steaming effect. Wash out the oil with normal cool water using diluted shampoo /cleanser.
- Condition and style as usual
Which Ayurvedic oil is best for hair massage?
Herb infused Oils are best advocated for haircare. These oils can be prepared incorporating either a single herb (like bringaraj, Amla etc) or a mix of over 20 herbs. Other oils like coconut oil, almond oil, olive oil, castor oil etc can also be used in combination with herbal oil to boost your hair strength.
NEELIBRINGADI THAILAM – A BOON!
The supreme hair tonic that one can never refuse.
The major ingredient being the Indian indigo known as neelayamari in Malayalam is a widely used natural hair colourant and a potent hair amplifier, complemented with the blend of other herbal extracts like Bhringaraj, Amla, mulethi (licorice) etc. Added with nourishing milk and moisturizing Coconut oil results in making Neelibringhadi Thailam as Hairs best companion.
A soothing massage with the traditional premier Bipha Neelibringadi tailam formulation helps prevent hairfall, premature greying, balding and makes the hair thick, black and long.
At a minimum, perform this routine of oil massage for 5 -10 minutes twice or thrice a week and feel the massive difference you encounter.
To know more on the Ayurvedic hair oils click here
- Be fair with your hair – Best Hair packs for healthy hair
- The egg wonder
This superfood can do wonders to all hair types.In addition to its protein factor ,egg contain over twenty vital nutrients like vitamins, zinc, iron etc important for haircare. While the thought of using egg mask making hair smelly and messy tends most to step back, it’s worth the effort simply because this single ingredient can solve all your hair problems. Try out the following packs for silky smooth hair.
Pack 1 - AEO – Aloe vera – Egg white – oil
The duo of egg and aloe vera acts as a strengthening agent for your hair and the oil replenishes dull hair, leaving you with a glossy and thick texture to your hair once you use this mask. Any oil as per your preference can be added.
In a bowl, mix 2 to 3 tablespoons of egg yolk with 4 to 5 tablespoons of aloe vera pulp/ gel.Add 1 tablespoon oil and Apply this mask on your hair. Remember to give special attention to the roots.
Leave it on for 30 minutes and rinse with cold water.
Pack 2 – CEL – Curd- Egg- Lemon juice
This mask will help fight hair fall. Presence of lemon juice cleans the scalp, eggs and curd together will strengthen weak hair and keep dandruff at bay.
Mix 1 egg, 3 to 4 tablespoons of curd, and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice in a bowl.
Gently apply the mask on your scalp and keep until dry, then shower.
Pack 3 – Eggless pack – HACO – Honey + Aloe vera + Curd + oil
Mix three teaspoons of aloe vera gel with two teaspoons of curd,one teaspoon of honey and one teaspoon of olive / any oil. Mix well and apply on hair and scalp. Massage the mixture into the scalp well for 10 minutes. Let it rest for half an hour and wash.
- Herbs for Hair pack
Powders/ paste of any of the herbs - Indigo, Amla , Bhringaraj , Henna, Fenugreek, Triphala, eladi etc added with aloe vera / curd / egg with few drops of oil can also protect your hair.
Application of any hair packs once in a week or twice in a month is always recommended.
- What to eat for strong healthy hair?
One must eat healthy to nourish hair from within.
- AMLA / Indian Gooseberry -. Being the treasure house of Vitamin C, iron, calcium along with the phyto nutrients increases the blood circulation in the scalp promoting hair growth and produces collagen protein which are needed to replace the dead hair follicles with new hair cells.
How to include Amla in diet?
- Raw Amla – Eat one Amla each day for three months to promote hair growth
- Amla juice- Take the juice of Amla added with little honey daily when you start the day
- Amla capsule – Take 2 capsules of Bipha Amla capsule twice a day and boost your hair health.
- TRIPHALA – The three myrobalans - A polyherbal Ayurvedic medicine with fruits of Amla, black myrobalan(haritaki) and chebulic myrobalan ( vibhitaki) is a gem formula, efficient in detoxifying the body by helping to get rid of harmful toxins enhancing overall well being of an individual and a saviour for all hair problems. Nowadays due to its increased popularity it has become a part of the healthy diet.
How to use Triphala?
Mix 1 teaspoon of Triphala powder in a glass of lukewarm water and have it at bedtime.
The bitterness of the mixture may worry you and make you to keep the drug aside. No worries, go for an easy palatable form of Bipha Triphala capsule which makes your routine simple. Take 1 capsule of Triphala twice a day with lukewarm water and make your hair nourished.
- PROTEINS – During your salon visits , anytime your hairstylist must have asked to try the popular keratin treatment to smoothen and straighten your frizzy hair. But why to disturb your hair equilibrium when you have natural sources of keratin? Keratin is a major inherent protein in hair maintaining the structure of each hair strands. Biotin / vitamin B7 is the essential element for keratin production and hence Biotin tablets are being marketed nowadays for hair growth.
Keratin rich foods – Eggs, Onion , Salmon , Sweet potatoes, Poultry, Brocolli ,Nuts and legumes, Milk, Yoghurt, Mangoes can boost your keratin levels.
- HYDRATE HAIR - Much like a plant needs water to grow, so does hair. Dehydration of body in turn halt hair growth. Hence, drinking 8-10 glasses of water per day and eating water rich foods helps stimulate the hair roots and replenish hair cells.
Do invest some time if you wish for lustrous and strong tresses as it makes your crown look beautiful and gorgeous.
Have a great Hair day!!!